Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Easy Menu Planning Board

I found a menu board on Pinterest that I thought was pretty sweet and wanted to try to make it myself. My board is based off the photo.

You'll need:

  • 1 piece of 12x12 card stock

  • 1 piece of decorative 12x12 scrapbook paper

  • 1 piece of light colored solid cardstock

  • a few scraps of scrapbook paper

  • an old 10x13 picture frame, with the glass intact

  • tape runner

  • glue gun

  • 7 clothes pins

  • Other: ruler, pencil, scissors, paper cutter

I started with an old 10x13 picture frame. I cut my background scrapbook paper (I used paper from Basic Grey) to 9x12. I put a tiny bit of glue runner on the back and attached it to the back of the paper that came inside the frame, centering it, so that there is a white border around my paper. Then I just stuck everything back in the frame. So I basically framed a piece of pretty paper.

Next I figured out on scrap paper what size to make the boxes. My measurements are below, measure it on a scrap piece of paper and use that as your template. Use the template to trace and cut two boxes. You can get two pieces off one piece of card stock. Put the long measurement on one edge in the corner, trace and cut, then flip it and trace it onto the opposite side of the card stock. You should have a nice strip in the middle of your card stock, which we will cut later for the clothes pins.
Use your paper cutter to score the folds. You can see my score lines in the photo above. Score and fold on the lines. Cut two 2 1/2" x 3 1/4" rectangles out of your scrap paper. Use the glue runner to attach to the front of your boxes.

Then use a little tape runner to glue the boxes like this:
Using your leftover card stock, cut 7 pieces that are 2 3/4" long x 5/8" wide. Hot glue these to your clothes pins.

Hot glue your boxes to the glass on the right side of the frame. Be quick, you want to get the box on the glass before the glue dries!!

Hot glue your clothes pins evenly spaced along the left side of the frame. These will be hot glued to the frame, not the glass.

Cut your meal strips out of the light colored solid card stock (I used three colors): 1 1/4" x 3 3/4".
I put some stickers on the leftover card stock, cut around them then hot glued those to the frame as well. If you're using a pack of Basic Grey paper or Close to my Heart paper, it's easy to coordinate because the solids, patterns and stickers all come in one pack.

Now what you do is write the meal on one side of the meal strip and the ingredients for the entire meal on the back side of the strip. How you use the boxes will be up to you. I'm going to start with all meals in the top box, make my menu (using the ingredients on the back for my shopping list), and next week take those off and put them in the bottom box, and make a new menu using the top box. And cycle thru them.

Pretty sweet I think.

No comments: