Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fabric trash bin for the car.

I am proud to say I designed this little trash bin for my car because I was sick of the plastic bags I was using, they just aren't pretty. My center console has this little compartment and I have no idea what they are for. They are 4" long, 1" wide and 1 1/2" deep. I decided to make use of that random little space.

My cousin saw mine and asked me to make two for her van. I made hers longer, since they will be hanging in her random compartments on her doors instead of the center console close to the floor.

First decide how long you'd like your trash bag. For mine it was 12" from the compartment lip to the floor so mine is less than 12", my cousins is about 12" when finished.

You'll need:

  • one 26" x 10" rectangle with outer fabric

  • one 26" x 10" rectangle with lining fabric

  • one 7" x 10 1/2" rectangle

  • piece of ribbon approximately 4" long (or make your own bias tape like I did)

  • two pieces of fusible web 10" x at least 1"

  • 1/2 cup of rice

Iron your fusible web about 1/2" down from the top of the short edges of your outer fabric, on the wrong side.
Fold your outer fabric in half, right sides together, matching short ends. Sew along both long edges.
20120204-123811.jpg

Box the two bottom corners.
Repeat with your lining.

Flip your outer fabric right side out and fold your seams in. Iron the seams. Repeat with your lining.
Slide your lining into your outer bag, wrong sides together, lining up the side seams. Pin at the side seams and around the front. Leave the back unpinned for now.
Take your 7" x 10 1/2" rectangle and fold it, right sides together, so the short ends meet.
Stitch along one short end and the long end, leaving the other short end open. Flip right side out, iron, then add approximately 1/2 cup of rice.

20120204-121319.jpg

Push your rice to the bottom, squeeze the fabric above it and pin. This will keep the rice down and out of your way while you're sewing.
Pin and stitch your ribbon or bias tape approximately 3 1/2" from the closed end of your rice pouch.
Put your rice pouch, ribbon side up, in between your unpinned front and lining layers, centered between the side seams, like so:
Pin in place. Take your bin to your machine and sew around the edges, approximately 1/4" from the edge. Voila!! Your car trash bin is complete!!!
** edited to add:

So I was thinking about it and you could add some essential oils or herbs to the pouch with rice in it, to make your car smell nice. Wish that had occurred to me before I finished mine!!!

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

That's really clever! I like it a lot. And I have a little plastic bag in my car that has seen better days... This project may need to happen sooner rather than later.

Penny (admin) said...

I love my trash bin but because its all cotton I can't put anything wet in there... For long road trips I do throw a plastic Baggie in it, sort of squish the grocery bag in there and fold down over the top, but for the most part the cotton bag works just fine for my car :) you could always use a waterproof fabric for the lining...

Elizabeth Parker said...

I love it, I have one by my sewing machine and serger. I was thinking.......something like light weight boning would help maintain its lovely roundness of the opening.

Penny (admin) said...

Oh that is an excellent idea! I hadn't even thought of that, the stabilizer seems to be working well for mine though, for now.