Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What can you make with a jelly roll? Project three. Thread catcher.

Today's "What can you make with a jelly roll?" project is a thread catcher using four strips from your jelly roll. I am still working with the same jelly roll as the other projects: Reunion Jelly Roll Sweetwater for Moda. Remember the point of this series is to see just how much you can make with a single jelly roll, other than a quilt.
First, pick four strips of fabric from your jelly roll that you'd like to use for your thread catcher.

Take strip one and cut two 16" long pieces.
Take strip two and cut two 16" pieces.

Sew the four strips together, alternating them, to create a single panel of fabric. Iron your seams and iron on a piece of fusible web.

Fold your panel up, matching strip seams:
Sew down the two sides, leaving the top open. Box your corners at 1 1/4". With the right side out, fold the top of your bag to the inside creating a cuff... about 1/2". Iron the cuff.

Repeat for your lining fabric, without the fusible web, and make sure the wrong side is out when folding the cuff. Fold the cuff to the outside this time.
Take your two remaining strips, the strips that match the lining, and sew those two strips, right sides together, down both long ends. Turn your tube right side out, iron, and sew about 1/4" from each edge. Fold this in half and cut at the half mark, creating two hanging panels.
Take your remaining two strips, the ones that match the outside of the bag, and sew them, right sides together, down one long end. Do not open the pieces. Fold them in half, so that the short ends meet, and cut at the half mark. Iron your seams.

Next, sandwich your hanging panels between your pillow pieces, making sure the pillow pieces are right sides together. The hanging panels are long so I folded one end up and pinned so that I would not sew thru it accidentally.

Sew around your pillow pieces, leaving an opening at the end opposite the hanging panels. Clip your corners, turn right side out and iron. Your pillow piece should look like this:
I added a 1/4" of rice to my pillow to weigh it down. I'm not 100% sure this was necessary but I did it anyway. Then I filled the pillow the rest of the way with batting. Either hand sew the opening closed, or if you despise hand sewing like I do, take it to your machine to sew the opening closed.

Put your lining inside the outer bag, wrong sides together. Pin around the front and the sides. Insert your hanging panels into the back side of your bag between the two layers and pin in place. Take the whole contraption to your machine and sew around the top edge.
You will not have any leftovers from the strips you choose for this project.

** side note: I did notice that because the table I sew on is wood that my thread catcher wanted to slide off the table. I'm thinking I need to maybe add a few dots of hot glue to the bottom of my pillow to make it non-slip. **

I'm going to continue to work with Reunion for this series, but remember you can find a bunch of different jelly rolls here.

15 comments:

Rearranged and organized sewing space. - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] For organizing I used some glass vases for zippers and binding. All my spools of threads are in those two pencil containers. You can’t see but behind the machine my bobbins, pins, safety pins and paper clips are in smaller containers. I put a nail in the wall to hang a clipboard for whatever I might want to hang or refer to. You can see my thread catcher with the pin cushion part stuffed in the drawer… (tutorial for that here). [...]

Lee said...

My aunt made and gave me one of these. She used that rubber shelf stuff on the bottom so that it would stick to the table and not slide off. It works great.

Penny (admin) said...

Hmmm.. I will have to try that. For now I have it in a drawer... so the pin cushion is inside the drawer and not even being used.. ha

Lupe said...

I really like this handy item. When I sew every thing goes in the floor this would be an answered to my problem. I sure would like this item.I would like a copy of this pattern.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the pictures??? I would very much like to make this!!! Thanks very much!!!

possum.123@live.com said...

Yes, I am with Anonymous what
did happen to the pictures.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for one of these catchits. Pictures would be handy. I can't see what to do.

Anonymous said...

I have trouble reading even the easiest pattern, but let me look at what ever it is I want to make & Usually I can do it. I however going to give this a try even though there are not pictures just a purple block so wish mw luck as I could really use it.

Judy said...

No pictures are showing only dark magenta backgrounds. Please resend with pictures attached.

cahirasnana said...

I would love to make one of your thread catchers but unfortunately cannot see the pictures on my computer but, like one of the others who commented, I am going to "try" and work out how to make it without visuals.

Anonymous said...

Can't see the pictures on my computer either. I'm a visual learner so this would help. I might try to figure it out on my own too.

Penny said...

You should be able to view the photos now.

Penny said...

The photos should be visible now. Sorry about that, problems with all my pics on the blog.

Linda King said...

How about making a pocket underneath the pincushion for a ceramic tile and stitch the pocket shut?

Patricia Hale MD, PhD said...

If you use the fine grit in the pin cushion it will sharpen you pins and needles and also is heavier so it holds down much better