Monday, April 2, 2012

TUTORIAL: How to "take in" the waist of cotton pants that are too big!

Last year I bought this extremely comfortable pair of cotton capri's. This year they are way too big. I'm not big on removing a million seams to make pants smaller, but I have read blogs where it can be done. I wanted an EASIER and FASTER way to make the waist smaller on these capri's. I need them for our trip to Disney.

This is how big they were on me:
First, I removed the threads from the tops of all the belt loops:
Then I put the capri's on and please forgive me if I don't explain this correctly, I'm certainly going to try. So I put them on and take my ELASTIC and pin it about two inches from the button on the INSIDE of the pants. This is where I want the elastic to start.

Pull the elastic around your waist so that it's snug but comfortable. Pin it to the inside band of the capri's about two inches from the button hole.

Then remove your pants (I put another pair on because I really don't need my neighbors to see me thru the dining room window sewing in my undies... ha), find the center of your elastic and pin that to the center of your capri's:
Now, I am no expert at sewing elastic, I ripped my threads twice before I got the elastic all the way around so that it stretched right when they were on me. The first time I used settings that were completely wrong and somehow the elastic stayed in it's stretched state, not helpful for keeping the pants on me.

Here are the settings I wound up using with the zig-zag stitch, I do not have any fancy needles or anything:
Here is a great article about sewing elastic, which is what I read before trying it myself. Again, let me point out, I did not use any fancy thread, needle or elastic, I just used what I already had laying around.

After you sew your elastic in, you have to reattach your belt loops, which goes pretty quickly. And then your capri's that were once too big now FIT!

No comments: