Sunday, April 1, 2012

TUTORIAL: A skirt from old ripped jeans.

Usually when I made a skirt from jeans I just cut straight across right at the crotch and add some fabric below that. But the other day at my Girl Scout meeting one of my Girl Scouts was wearing a jean skirt she made from a pair of jeans. Hers were made completely out of the jeans and no extra fabric but I wanted to use pink fabric for Hannah because she's a huge fan of pink.
So I started with these:
I cut them here:
Then I cut around the inside pant seams, and cut a little extra off the crotch to make it lay flat:
Side note: my Girl Scouts jeans were cut along the seam, she did not completely remove the seam.

Then I cut the inside seam and the bottom hem of the pant leg I had cut off, leaving me with a rectangle of fabric:
Then I simply slide that rectangle of fabric underneath the upside down V shape on one side of the pants, pin and sew:
Then cut the extra:
Side note: this is pretty much where the Girl Scouts completely jeans skirt ends. She did not remove any seams and she did not remove the leg hems. Her skirt came out so cute and was below knee length.

Then cut a a piece of fabric 1 1/2 times larger than the bottom of your pant skirt and as long as you want your skirt to be (maybe try on the jean skirt and figure out how much longer you want it to be, Hannah's skirt goes to her mid-shin):
Pin your fabric tube and skirt, right sides together, creatively overlapping in some areas so it fits (or ruffle it on your machine first):
Side note: here's how I do it, first I pin the side seams, then the front and back, making sure I use the center of the fabric, then pin between each of the pins center to center, if that makes sense.

Hem the bottom of your skirt when you're finished. And if you want, add some appliques:

No comments: