Thursday, May 10, 2012

TUTORIAL: Spa Birthday: Eye/Sleep Masks

Gillian is having a "spa" birthday party this year, so I've been trying to find things to do and things to buy and/or make for the party. One thing I think you would find in a spa is eye/sleep masks. The ones I found in the store were all either pink or blue, so I decided to make my own, using black and white animal prints (Gillian has a thing for Zebra print).

First I printed the pattern off Sew4Home [this will open as a PDF in another window].

Print and cut the pattern. Next, trace the pattern onto fusible web. Cut out and iron onto the wrong side of the fabric that will be against the eye.

I traced and cut 12 then just ironed all 12 onto a long piece of fabric. Once those are ironed on, go ahead and cut them out.

Next I just laid that onto a rectangle piece of fabric, right sides together.

Take a 16" piece of elastic and lay it between the two layers. Pin one side of the elastic (going thru all three layers), then pin around the mask leaving the other elastic end open. Push your elastic between the layers being careful not to twist it, then pin it in place.

It should look something like this:
Sew around the mask leaving a 3-4 inch opening at the top of the mask. Trim around the entire mask, cut slits in the seam around the nose area being careful not to cut thru your stitches. Turn right side out.

Stitch around the entire mask again about 1/8", this will close your opening. Voila. Very cool.

1 comment:

The “SPArty” was a super success! | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] might recognize the eye masks I made a couple weeks ago. I also included combs and pedicure sets, obviously they took their nail polish and I had shower [...]