Tuesday, June 5, 2012

RECIPE: Lasagna Rolls. I made 'em, I tried 'em and I liked 'em.

A friend of mine on Facebook posted a photo of lasagna rolls she had made and I thought 'how clever'. I've made lasagna a few times but never as rolls. I didn't use her recipe, instead I used the recipe I always use for lasagna but instead of layering it in a pan I rolled them! They came out pretty good.
Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
Sausage {if you want it}
Garlic powder
Onion {chopped or I just use the dried onions you buy in the seasoning aisle}
Italian seasoning
2 cups Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese {plus extra for sprinkling}
16 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
15 Lasagna noodles
8 oz. can tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
7 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained

Directions:

First, start the water for the lasagna noodles because water takes for-freaking-ever to boil. While you're waiting for the water to boil, do the rest. When the water is finally boiling, boil the lasagna noodles for 10 minutes according to package directions.

Brown your hamburger, adding the Italian seasoning, onions, and garlic powder. If you're adding sausage to your lasagna, cook that too. I chop it up good so it looks shredded just like hamburger.

Once browned, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce to the hamburger. Also add the sausage. Cook on low, mixing occasionally for about 5 - 10 minutes.

Mix the ricotta cheese, egg and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Set aside.

Here's where I usually just take the noodles out of the boiling water and lay them in the pan, but knowing I had to roll them I emptied most of the water out of the pan and added cold water to it, then dumped half the water out and added more cold water, I kept doing this until I was sure I could put my hand in there without burning myself.

Lay three noodles out on some surface {I used a cookie sheet to contain that mess}. Spoon some of your sauce on there, down the center of the noodle, add ricotta on top of that, then mozzarella cheese on top of that. Be conservative with your meat because when you start rolling it will spill out the sides. Roll your noodle then put it into the pan you will be cooking it in.
Continue to do this until all your noodles are rolled and in the pan. Add the leftover meat over all the rolls. Then the leftover ricotta and finally sprinkle with mozerella and parmesan cheese.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 - 35 minutes.

No comments: