Thursday, August 9, 2012

Change it up - Fat Quarter Grocery Bags

Tuesday I spent a good chunk of the day working on Fat Quarter Grocery Bags. If you can believe it I forgot what sizes to cut the pieces and I actually had to put the PDF onto my iPad and follow my own pattern for these! ha
I made four on Tuesday and I already had three made so I'm up to seven, still not nearly enough for this house. I generally do so much groccery shopping at once that I walk out with twenty grocery bags or more, so I have a lot more sewing to do :)

Anyway, since the pattern I wrote does not have these little decorative things as part of the grocery bag I thought I would share what I did Tuesday.

I used some of the leftover fabric to make stripes on the handles. One has a large stripe and the other has a smaller stripe. You just need two pieces that are 18" x 1 1/2" or 2" (or 1 1/4" for the narrow stripe). Then fold the raw edges toward the center and iron. Flip it over and pin it wrong side down to your strap and top stitch down both sides.
On this grocery bag I added the stripes to the handle and I added a pocket to the front.
The Fat Quarter Grocery Bags (on Etsy or Craftsy)would work well as library bags too, especially if you have a pocket or two on there for the list of books you want to check out and your library card.

This was just your basic pocket, with the top raw edges folded under twice, ironed and topstitched and then the remaining three edges folded under and ironed, then stitched onto the bag around the three sides. My daughter demonstrating for me:


No comments: