Monday, August 20, 2012

Reuseable Snack Bag.

I have seen these bags made with the top of a zip lock bag as the closure. I've seen them made completely out of fabric. I've seen them made with specialty plastic fabrics.

So I thought why not try to make one using a new clear vinyl shower curtain as the liner? One shower curtain liner can make quite a few baggies and I got my liner at Wal-Mart for $2.88. I imagine you can also use the liner for other things too, quiet books perhaps?
I started with a piece of fabric 7" wide x 16" long. Fold each short end 1/4" toward the wrong side, then another 1/4" toward the wrong side creating clean hems.

Cut a piece of vinyl 7" wide by 15" long.Tuck each short end of the vinyl up under the hem of the bag. The vinyl should be on the wrong side of the fabric.

Stitch across each short end (through your nice hem and the vinyl hidden between the layers), back stitching at beginning and end. This will hold the vinyl in place.

Cut a piece of hook and loop tape (Velcro) 5 1/2" long. Stitch the hook side across the center top of one short hemmed edge about 1/8" from the top of the bag on the wrong side. Stitch the loop side across the center top of the other short hemmed edge about 1/8" from the top of the bag on the wrong side.

Fold your bag, right sides together, matching short hemmed ends. Using a 1/4" seam allowance and back stitching at each end, sew the two sides closed. Go back over each side using a zig zag stitch. Trim your seam close to the zig zag stitch.

Turn your bag right side out. The velcro should be on the inside.

Super fast, super easy, vinyl lined reusable snack baggie. You can make these in any size.

Hand wash with warm soapy water occasionally. Most often just flip it wrong side out and wipe it with a wet cloth.

Now I'm going to make a few sandwich wraps, also with the vinyl lining...

2 comments:

Pam said...

These look so well made...

Penny (admin) said...

Yeah. Someone ordered a custom set and I made them a little differently... Can't decide which way I prefer.