Saturday, August 11, 2012

Tutorial: Lower Back Tie-Around Heating Pad

I made this the other day because my back was KILLING me and my normal heating pad was no good since I really didn't want to sit with my back against the couch, I wanted to be up and cleaning the house.

I did learn a few things making it and I will let you know what those are so you don't make the same mistakes I made.

First we need:

  • Rice

  • Some dried herbs (I used rosemary) or essential oils

  • (2) 7" x 11" rectangle of fabric

  • (2) 2" x 15" strips of fabric

Take each long strip and fold right sides together with the long ends matching. Sew 1/4" seam down the long end. Turn your two tubes. Iron so that the seam is on the side. Set one aside.

*** UPDATED: Okay so I've made a second pack and used more rice and it still flops so my suggestion is to either A) put the straps at the TOP of the wrap instead of the middle as described below OR make a much wider strap that gradually gets smaller toward the end.

With the 7 x 11 rectangles right sides together, sandwich one of your strips in between them with one end in the middle of one of the short ends of the rectangles. Stitch along both 11" ends and the 7" end that has the strip sandwiched in there:
Turn this piece right side out and iron flat. Tuck the open end in about 1/4" to 1/2" and iron. With a fabric marking pen, mark two lines evenly apart down the pad:
Topstitch along these lines, from one edge to the other edge, backstitching at each end. You now have three channels for rice.

I added about 1/2" cup rice to each channel... I should have used a bit more.

Put one end of the second strip inside the heating pad, inside the middle channel. Pin in place, take this to your machine and stitch the entire end closed, backstitching at each end.

Tie your heating pad around your waist and clip the ties 1/2" longer than you want them. Untie and fold the end of each strip 1/4" and then fold again another 1/4" then stitch in place.
You'll notice it flops down a bit in the first picture of this post. I'm thinking that is because I didn't put enough rice in there... if I had put in enough rice so that it would hold it's shape this flop would not have happened (learn from my mistakes, remember?)

This could also be tied around your aching thigh or draped around your neck (without the tie, I definitely don't recommend tying things around your neck!).

If you decide to make one I'd love to see it!!

No comments: