Saturday, September 15, 2012

Quilts & More Hexie Table Mat

I love the Quilts & More magazines!! I usually buy them and just look repeatedly, this is the first time I've made a project from one of them. I had to make the hexie table mat because I see hexie everywhere and I've been dying to try it.

I didn't do the Autumn embroidery, and I didn't exactly do the hexies they way the instructions said to make them {by cutting 19 pieces of paper then hand basting them all? yeah right! I cut one piece of cardstock then ironed them all}

I used scraps I had that were large enough {5" x 5"} so the pattern says use Charm squares.

I think it came out really cute! I'm happy with it. the ironing of the hexies took forever, but the actual sewing and quilting went pretty quickly.
I didn't have a matching scrap large enough for the back so I pieced the back:
All in all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I also made a matching {sort of} mug rug, which I'll be posting in a day or two, as a tutorial.

6 comments:

Jess Kittelson said...

It's cute :) I think it would make a nice table centerpiece for a family get together like Thanksgiving, birthday, or just setting some flowers in a vase ontop of.

Penny (admin) said...

Yeah... I'm about to make two more plus a bigger one... just gotta find fabric I think the recipient will like with her living room.

This is me - QUILTING! - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] first time really really quilting. And by quilting I mean… not following directions like on my hexie table mat, but actually drawing a design freehand and quilting [...]

Hexie Mug Rug? - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] Of course this mug rug was made to match the hexie table mat I made. [...]

April Blocks of the Month - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] my second block I did what I did with my hexie table mat, I ironed my pieces around the cardstock, much faster, but hard on the fingers… [...]

Tip & Tutorial Tuesday: Get it Done - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] decided to give the Hexie Table Mat to my husband’s grandmother for Christmas instead of my Mother in Law so now I have to make [...]