Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Stripes Quilted Mug Rug tutorial

Remember the rainbow quilted mug rug I shared last week? I thought I'd share a quick tutorial with you about how I made it.

First you're going to start with 2 pieces of regular ol' printer paper that are 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" square.

You will also need 2 strips each of five different colors measuring 2 1/4" wide by 9 1/4" tall. Note that you CAN use smaller scraps on the corner pieces that are only 2 1/4" wide by 3" tall.

You'll want a piece of batting and backing that is at least 8" x 14".

Also some double-fold bias tape or make your own.

First take your center color {green} and lay it diagonally RIGHT side up on your paper. Stitch down both long raw edges attaching it to the paper:
Take your next piece and place it RIGHT side DOWN on top of the first strip matching raw edges. Sew the edge.
Fold the second strip {red} back and dry iron the seam. Take your third strip {orange} and place it RIGHT side DOWN on top of the red strip, matching raw edges. Sew in place.
Open and iron. Continue in this manner until your whole paper is covered:
Next, take your 6 1/2" square measuring thingamajig and place it over your block. Trim.
Next make a second block using the remaining strips and remaining piece of paper. Once you are finished trimming the second block, carefully remove the paper from the back of the blocks.

Twist and turn your blocks next to each other until you're happy with the way it is and then sew your two block together.

Cut a piece of backing and batting that are 1" bigger than your finished rectangle on each side. It should be backing RIGHT side DOWN, batting, quilt RIGHT side UP. Pin your layers together.
Using a quilter's marker, which is washable, draw a line on a test piece of the lightest color fabric you have, then get a wet cloth and make sure it washes off. If it does, draw some lines and squiggles where you want them on your mug rug quilt top:
Top stitch with your machine over your drawn lines using a stitch length slightly longer than the standard length (my standard on my machine is 2.5 and I changed it to 3.5). Your quilt top might stretch... that's okay. Your lines won't be perfect if you're using a regular sewing machine foot (which I did) but that's okay. It doesn't have to be perfect to look good!! Top stitch right off the edge of the quilt top.

After quilting the mug rug, square it. What I mean is cut off the excess and make sure your sides are straight, if you've had fabric stretching this is where we fix that:
Next, we're going to attach our store purchased pre-made double fold bias tape binding using this tutorial (click the "continuous quilt binding tutorial" link), which is a printable PDF... She has us hand-stitching but I did not hand stitch, I machine stitched all the way. Just make sure when you're machine stitching on the front side that your seam allowance is slightly smaller than it was on the back so that your stitches are all on the binding material, and make sure your thread is the same color as the binding.

note though - I searched and searched and searched for how to do binding, because I am horrible at it, and the tutorial I link to has awesome diagrams and explains the process really well.

Of course you could always make your own binding and use coordinating thread. Or even hand sew like the pdf directions specify, but I am not a hand-sewer, I avoid it whenever I can.... so there you go.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

I LOVE this site! I stumbled upon it, but will definitely be back!

Penny (admin) said...

Well thank you! I'm glad you like it :)

Dj Merritt said...

I made a version of the mug rug and it turned out fantastic, the girl who got them loves them Thank you for sucha great tutorial

Dj Merritt said...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151231411727438&set=a.10151231402702438.482576.710487437&type=1&theater

HEre is the results of my Christmas mug rugs using your tutorial Thank you again

Penny (admin) said...

Darn! I can't see it :( I bet they're great though.

Penny (admin) said...

Aww. You're welcome. You're the only person who has ever let me know if a tutorial made sense! Lol

Dj Merritt said...

If clicking ont eh link doesn't work maybe you can copy and paste it to your address bar. OR how do I add a photo here

Handmade Gifts for MEN. (19 gifts to SEW) - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] a Mug Rug or two using either the stripes tutorial or the hexi [...]

Tutorial – How to Make a Quilted Mug Rug said...

[...] Mug Rug Tutorial at Sew Simple Life Blog [...]

Taelia88 said...

Wonderful tutorial! I loved the outcome!
Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά #24 :)
Have a great week!!

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks!