Thursday, September 27, 2012

Waving Flag - Scrap Wall Hanging

I first started this waving flag in February. It's been sitting on a shelf waiting to be finished. I never remember to pick up fabric for it... until last week.

(Now that I've gone back and read that old post, I see I was intending to use red bias tape... ha, I ended up making my own brown bias tape for it)
I am actually really happy with the way this came out! And the way I added the tabs for hanging (not too bad for my first time making tabs for hanging!)
Next time I make this (as a gift for someone perhaps) I'm not going to go scrappy with it, I think I'll buy various shades of each color and build from there. This truly was a SCRAP project...

The pattern came from a Better Homes & Gardens book called "Teach Yourself to Hand Applique". I bought it last year at Big Lots for a whopping $3. Yes... I said THREE.... dollars. Love the book section of Big Lots, also got the Martha Stewart Sewing Encyclopedia for $7. Ha.

5 comments:

Dawnll said...

I LOVE IT!!! This turned out wonderful...love a wall hanging on display. You should be very proud.

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks. My first wall hanging and really the first thing I've made for the house... unless you count purses and the kids blankets (which aren't even quilted).

Dj Merritt said...

I LOVE IT AND CANNOT WAIT TO MAKE ONE.....just have to get caught up now on these other things to start it. Troops before Dj in this case !! YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB ON IT !!!!!

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!!

This is actually the first thing I've made for me in a long time. You definitely need to stop and take a bit of time for yourself sometimes :)

Scrappy Mug Rug - made for ... - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] I made this using a few scraps from the Craftsy Blocks I have been working on. These are truly scrappy, not only are the front pieces scraps from the blocks, the binding is leftover binding from my Waving Flag. [...]