Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Block of the Month Quilt Top

I finished the Craftsy Block of the Month Quilt Top. I know, I know... it's supposed to be TWENTY blocks and I only actually sewed 18 blocks and now you're about to see I'm only using 12 blocks in my lap quilt.
I am liking it so far. I still have to add the batting and quilt it, of course.

Oh! Somebody wanna tell me the easiest way to photograph larger quilts? I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to photograph this and it's only a lap quilt. How do you manage to photograph full and queen quilts? Even twins?
If you're wondering why I only used 12 blocks here's the deal. I am an extremely impatient person. I quickly caught up to October's classes (which really had nothing to do with me skipping September's blocks) and you know... the next class isn't up yet. I have no idea how Amy plans to sash her quilt for the class and like I said... I'm very impatient. I didn't want to wait on this... so I went forward and did my own thing.

8 comments:

Kim said...

I really like your lap quilt! And I can understand the impatience. Any quilting ideas? AS far as photographing - either take it outside and hang it somewhere where you can stand far enough back. I normally lay it on the floor or bed then use a chair to get up high and take a picture.
cheers!
-k

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!

Yeah I threw it over the fence, which is low, and part of the border disappeared from the photo.

Climbing up on a chair is a great idea, thanks!

Melissa said...

Wow! That's great!! One of the reasons I never got past January is because I didn't know what fabric I wanted to use, and I don't usually go for an all-over-scrappy kind of look...but I really love how cohesive yours looks!! Great job!

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks! I'm only using five fabrics, plus the background. I don't like too much going on either and using 32 different fabrics seemed a bit much for me! Some of the finished tops on the site look good even with all the different fabrics, but its really not my style either.

Dawnll said...

Oh my word this is beautiful! I love how the lap quilt turned out...those colors and patterns are wonderful.
I have a hard time photographing my projects can't imagine this size
I am so proud of you sweetie

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks. I love the fabrics too. I'm sooo nervous about quilting it, I don't want to ruin it!

Block of the Month Table Topper - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] One of the projects I worked on while I had no computer was this table runner for my coffee table using some of the leftover blocks from my Craftsy Block of the Month Quilt Top. [...]

Top Posts on SewSimpleLife for October. - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] Block of the Month Quilt Top –> a fairly recent post so I am surprised to see it here! Did any of those most viewed posts happen to make your favorites list for the blog in October? What would you have expected to see up here!? /* Tags: monthly top blog posts, October top posts 2012, popular monthly posts, popular posts, top posts [...]