Thursday, November 1, 2012

Block of the Month Table Topper

Ahh... blogging on the computer feels great! The problem was my memory card, as it turns out, and not my laptop card reader. Although there was, apparently, a problem with the motherboard because they did replace that. So I've put a new memory card in the camera and even though I have lost all my tutorial photos for the tutorial that never got posted, I did not lose any family photos.

Anyway...

One of the projects I worked on while I had no computer was this table runner for my coffee table using some of the leftover blocks from my Craftsy Block of the Month Quilt Top.
I used three of my leftover blocks for this and added some sashing with the dark blue. I made binding with brown fabric so this would match the mug rug I made from scraps. Makes sense since they're in the same room.

I also made another scrappy mug rug and plan to make two more (so that I have four mug rugs total in the living room). This one was a quilt as  you go method I guess. Just cut my background (white) and made my quilt sandwich, then stitched scraps to the top of it, leaving the raw edges. Nothing fancy.
Here are a few close ups of the table runner:
Simple straight lines. I am DYING to try free-motion quilting, and a little scared. My husband says to buy myself a free-motion quilting foot for my birthday this month. I mean... I can't say no... that would be rude.

8 comments:

beth said...

I can't wait to hear about your experiences with free-motion quilting. I'm brand new to quilting, but am dreaming of it already. (And yes, it is a bit scary!)

Dawnll said...

Yes it would be rude, pick one up, you deserve it.
I just love these blocks and those great fabrics sweetie

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks. I love the fabrics too! Wicked pretty.

Penny (admin) said...

You and me both! Haha

Dj Merritt said...

i love the table runner you made....I have been watching your blocks and wondering what you would make from them . I think you chose well. Can't wait till you start your free motion Quilting , it will be great to watch the process as you do it . Thank you for sharing

Pam said...

Love the colour combination of blues and mauves... my favourite. I've been meaning to make mug rugs for ages.

Penny (admin) said...

I love this color combo too. I love mug rugs, quick, easy, instant gratification! LOL

Craftsy Block of the Month - Finished Quilt! - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] quilt is only 12 blocks but the class teaches you 20 blocks. I used three of my blocks on a table runner. I have three more blocks on a shelf and there are two blocks I did not [...]