Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Children's Fabric Tangrams Book

I got the pattern for the book from Sew Mama Sew. I knew as soon as I saw it that I had to make it. My youngest likes to play with her brother's tangrams, and that always causes a fight between them (not that they ever actually get along...) So when I saw it on the site I thought "This will be the perfect Christmas gift for Hannah... and myself".
Well here is where I strayed.... The pattern on Sew Mama Sew uses squares and triangles. The set my son brought home from school (I love how teachers send students home with all this stuff at the end of the year)... had triangles, hexagons... and other shapes. So what I did was to trace those shapes.

And now that I have Googled it, you can find printable Tangram shapes, seriously... just Google it. Or do the square/triangle method. Now with my googling I have come to think that maybe I did not make a Tangram book?? I see none of the shapes I have cut are in any of my search results. So what are my shapes? I am guessing they're from math class and used to teach children how to make patterns!?? That is my best guess.

Anyway here are my shapes:
And because I know how much my daughter loves to use my son's shapes to make flowers, I made sure I cut SEVEN hexagrams so she can still make flowers:
I did not read the directions and I'm not sure how the shapes were done on the tangram book. I basically used the idea and the size of the book and that's about it. It's really a great idea!

For my shapes I traced the pieces onto the non-stick side of fusible web then ironed those onto the wrong side of scrap pieces of fabric.
After it cools, cut your shapes on the line. Get another strip of fabric big enough to hold all your shapes (I used the same fabric for front and back but you can definitely mix and match) and cut a piece of fusible web the same size. Iron the fusible web to the wrong side of that fabric.

Next you're going to use a dab of a child's glue stick (I used Elmer's purple that dries clear) to stick your cut shapes to your fabric strip. Glue all of them on there in a row, fusible web to fusible web:
Take this to our machine and top stitch around your shapes. Just like applique. When you're done it should look like these:
Next cut around your shapes! And that's it. So simple... but time consuming. I think it's totally worth it though... or it will be when Hannah gets hers and can make her flowers!

What is extra perfect about this is that I used leftover flannel that I had used to make Hannah a pillowcase and quilt for her room, as well as a matching bag. And now she has a matching toy!

One more thing crossed off my Christmas to-do list.

2 comments:

Dumbledore? Maybe. It's definitely a wizard! - Sew Simple Life | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] each of my kids a gift for Christmas and this is my son’s. My youngest, of course, is getting the tangram book and I have yet to decide what to make my {almost} teenage [...]

Follow Your Heart Mini | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] each of my kids at least one handmade gift this year for Christmas. I made my youngest daughter the tangram book, my son is getting a Wizard Wall Hanging and my oldest daughter is getting this wall [...]