Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Dumbledore? Maybe. It's definitely a wizard!

My son is about to be 9 years old (crazy how time flies) and he is totally into the Harry Potter series. He owns every movie and even owns a light up wand that looks just like Harry's.

Because boys are so hard for me to sew for, poor Matthew often gets overlooked when I'm in the sewing room. I've made him only a felt pick axe (he's joined the Minecraft craze unfortunately) and now this wall hanging:
This was paper pieced and it is about 13" x 13" square with hanging pockets on the back. This is, so far, the only thing I have actually free-motion quilted. Yes, it could be better, but considering this is my very first time I am quite pleased with how it came out. The swirls are supposed to be "magic"... or at least that is the effect I was going for.

Here is a close up of the quilting:
And the back is just scrappy paper pieced wonky log cabin type deal, nothing fancy at all. Binding is store bought double fold which I machine stitched on the front and hand stitched to the back (I'm getting much better at it I think).
I am making each of my kids a gift for Christmas and this is my son's. My youngest, of course, is getting the tangram book and I have yet to decide what to make my {almost} teenage daughter.

In other news, I have added several things to my Christmas to-do list,  but no worries because I have finished them already. I suppose I ought to share those here on the blog (I will, I'm just slow at posting!). How is your Christmas gifting going?

1 comment:

Follow Your Heart Mini | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] gift this year for Christmas. I made my youngest daughter the tangram book, my son is getting a Wizard Wall Hanging and my oldest daughter is getting this wall [...]