Saturday, November 24, 2012

Scattered Squares - Christmas mini quilt

Do not laugh. So I watched the video, waited two days, went shopping from memory, came home and cut my squares from memory, sat down to scatter my squares only to realize that I was short one fabric. UGH

Scattered squares? Scattered brains is more like it.

So I got rid of the blue and red that I had purchased and kept the silver circles and cream.

I grabbed a reddish Christmas fabric and a Tealish Christmas fabric that my daughter had bought me last year for Christmas, threw in a light tealish scrap and cut those.
So this is not what I had planned but I have to say that I love it.
The quilt front and a close up of my quilting, which I did on my new machine with ... a walking foot!

(yes, I am now the proud owner of a walking foot... haha... what a difference it makes)
For the back I had run out of fabrics. Because I used fat quarters for the cream, silver and Christmas fabrics and scraps for the teal solid... I ran out. So I improvised and grabbed two more fabrics from my stash that I thought kind of coordinated with the front and used those on the back.

Here is my pieced back, which I thought was pretty clever.
Also, this quilt (which is going on my dining room table... or maybe coffee table... haven't decided yet) was a bunch of firsts for me. I used my 1/4" foot (the first time ever using one) to piece it, I used the walking foot to quilt it, it was a random design which I had a hard time with but felt I handled rather well (until my daughter pointed out where there is apparently a pattern, but I swear that was an accident)... and... drumroll people, this is exciting stuff... for me anyway.

I HAND STITCHED MY BINDING!!!!

Yes I did. First time ever. So thanks to Elizabeth Hartman's class I was able to get a little random, and thanks to Amy Gibson's class I was able to hand stitch my binding. Both excellent teachers.

I am so happy with this mini quilt that I don't know if I'm going to be able to put it away when Christmas is over. I guess I better make another one (maybe with my original fabrics!) that I can keep out the rest of the year?

3 comments:

Donna said...

I love making these small quilts. It feels like I have accomplished something and you can change them with the season. I love the teal, I would not have thought of that color but it adds some zing to the piece. Congratulations on all the "firsts". I have never used a walking foot to quilt with, but my quarter inch foot is almost always on my machine. Thanks for sharing.
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

Penny (admin) said...

I agree. I prefer the smaller projects so I can finish them. My lap quilt took a bit longer but in between I worked on smaller things.

First Quilt of the New Year | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] I wanted this to be a table runner instead of a wall hanging or maybe table topper {like the Christmas Scattered Squares, which I also used this pattern for}… I added four extra squares, one of each of the four [...]