Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sewing Spools Wall Quilt

Today I have a mini tutorial, a link to a great free pattern and a link to a great free tutorial for you.

I made this sewing spools mini quilt wall hanging using this pattern. I changed the order of the blocks because for me it didn't make sense to have a "lighter" block (as opposed to the heavier spool blocks) down on the bottom, so I moved it up a row.

My mini tutorial: I also did not piece the sewing machine. I knew the finished blocks were to be 6" square, so I drew a 6" square on graph paper, found a sewing machine silhouette on Google and sketched it free hand on the paper with a pen. Then I cut around my template and with right sides together (using my main fabric and my non-seen background fabric) I stitched directly on the lines of my drawing, all the way around. I then trimmed around the seams, clipping rounded edges. Then I pulled the fabrics apart and cut a slit in the background fabric, turned right side out, ironed and top stitched to a solid block. Whew... that was winded.
For hanging (I made this to hang on the wall above my sewing desk), I used this tutorial. I still need to go get a dowel for hanging.
Here is the quilting (my first attempt was just down the center lines and that looked HORRIBLE, so I ripped out all my stitches and started over, still not perfect but I like it better):
I used the rose pattern for the back because honestly I am not a huge fan of ROSES. Don't get me wrong, this Riley Blake fabric is GORGEOUS, but the roses... not for me.

You know... it's not perfect, the binding isn't perfect, the quilting isn't perfect, but nothing I make is. But I love it just the same. I'm really happy with the way this came out.

Finished size: 17 1/2" Square
(smaller than it's supposed to be because I did make a cutting mistake... LOL)

11 comments:

Missy said...

I love it! I like the sewing machine too and think moving it was a good idea!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is so cute! I'm thinking a mug rug of spools might be fun. And, thanks so much for including the tutorial link for the hanging tabs. Love it.

Donna said...

I love your mini quilt. Making spool blocks is a favorite of mine. I just recently discovered adding the tabs to the back for hanging small quilts. I do mine exactly like that.

Thanks for sharing your project.

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks!

I also just discovered the tabs! Because I follow that blog and she had posted it. Very clever.

Penny (admin) said...

Smaller spools I think, those would be very cute! Good idea, I'll add that to my ever expanding list of things I WANT to make. LOL

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!

Connie said...

What a cute wall hanging and your little sewing machine is adorable! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Emma Parker said...

No quilt is ever perfect, so go easy on yourself! The quilt is as cute as it can be.

Penny (admin) said...

That's sweet, thank you!

Dj Merritt said...

Penny as usual you have made a cute and original little wall hanging., I love your tutorials. Thank you for posting them for all of us who need help.

Follow Your Heart Mini | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] On the back I put hanging pockets like I did for the Wizard Wall Hanging and the Sewing Spools Quilt. [...]