Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Bird on a Branch.

I spent Thursday and Friday working on this mini wall quilt. I am really happy with the way it came out.
I hand appliqued the bird {which I drew myself}. The tree trunk and branches are pieced by machine. They aren't appliqued though, they are part of the background.
I stitched in the ditch around the trunk, branches and bird to stabilize. I drew a cloud shape template on paper, cut it out and with my trusty blue fabric marking pen I traced some clouds on there and free-motion quilted them. I am pretty happy with my free-motion quilting. I am enrolled in "Machine Quilting: Free Motion & More" and I did follow the instructions of the teacher both on my practice piece and on my clouds.
The back is pieced and I added a hanging pocket to the top, hand stitched, of course. You know the more things I hand stitch the more I like it. The binding was also hand stitched to the back.
I have listed this for sale on Etsy. It's going to be hard to part with, but I can always make another one.

On a completely different note... I think from now on I will schedule my posts less and start posting as I write them. Maybe. We'll see.

8 comments:

Pat @ Color Me Quilty said...

I think you did a wonderful job with this mini! Very cute.

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks. My first time really... unless you count my wizard but that was just quick swirls.

Your fish is pretty awesome. Maybe someday I'll be that good...

carol said...

Very nice! Love your quilting and I don't think annabellenis going to let you sell it, she's looking at that bird like you made it for her:-)

Penny (admin) said...

LOL. That's funny, I thought she was checking out the bird too.

Karen K. at Fireball Quilts said...

I love the tree and branches. Lots of scrappy goodness!

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks!

Deb said...

I really like your bird on a branch! I found your blog from one of your comments on a giveaway post...saw the bird as your avatar and followed it here. I pinned it! You did a great job!

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you! Glad you like it.

And thanks for telling me how you got here :) interesting.