Wednesday, January 2, 2013

First Quilt of the New Year

Ha. I'm kidding. I actually finished it a few days ago.

I made this table runner following the instructions of Elizabeth Hartman in her Craftsy Class "Inspired Modern Quilts". I did make a couple changes.

First, because I wanted this to be a table runner instead of a wall hanging or maybe table topper {like the Christmas Scattered Squares, which I also used this pattern for}... I added four extra squares, one of each of the four darker/patterned fabrics.

Then I laid it out at 6 squares by 14 squares, instead of 8 x 10.
Some simple straight line quilting... but in a chevron pattern. I think it makes it interesting. You can see we had been using this on the table for a day before I took photos so ignore the salt spill from my children... haha
Here is the back. For this table runner I used a total of six fat quarters. It was enough for front, back and binding... almost. I did run out before completing the binding so I had to substitute a 30" piece of purple fabric from my stash to complete the binding. I'm glad that happened though.
Anyway, I hope that your New Year has started off on the right foot. Mine started off with an Etsy sale, which made me happy :) I found that I have added more things to my "things I want to make in 2013" list. I will share those another day though.

If you haven't yet, there is still time to enter the traveling stash GIVEAWAY. There is a lot of good stuff in that box.

6 comments:

Donna said...

I like a fresh new table runner after putting away the Christmas things. You are one step ahead of me! Our Christmas runner is still on the table. Thanks for sharing this today.
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

brandi said...

I like it! Clean, green, perfect for Springtime, or St. Patty's Day, even just to add something "cooling" to the room in mid-summer, you know how nice blue and green "cool" the body through implication!
I am rediscovering a love affair with bright, bold, forest, and jungle-ish, jewel toned greens again. I think I might try to duplicate your runner here with orange and peach hand embroidered embellishments. Not a lot, just a few sprinklings here and there to make the green more vivid.
Your runner is super easy on the eyes because it is pretty and has such relaxing colors.

Penny (admin) said...

Well thank you, so much! I'd love to see yours when it's finished :)

Penny (admin) said...

We set up Christmas stuff Thanksgiving night so the day after Christmas it all goes out! LOL. I can only take so many days of Christmas.

Claire aka knitnkwilt said...

I think quilt patterns, like recipes, are made to be modified! I like your result. I've done Elizabeth Hartman's Pieced Backing class and learned from it...even used one of the items on a border on the front, matching up a big print.

Penny (admin) said...

Yeah her classes are great. I like the quilt back class too. Thanks for stopping by.