Monday, February 4, 2013

Retro Flowers Wallhanging or Table Topper

I finished this wall hanging/table topper Sunday morning. You might remember I started it weeks ago. It started as a pattern in a magazine but the templates and cutting sizes were wrong in the magazine, so I just decided to do my own thing.
I'm really happy with the way this came out. I free motion quilted "wandering clover" design on the white on white butterfly background fabric. It's hard to see in the photos but the quilting was done with a light lilac thread.
All the corner pieces, flowers, stems and leaves were hand appliqued onto the block and then I stitched the blocks together.
The back is solid blue, same as the binding. The binding was machine stitched to the front and then hand sewed to the back. I really enjoy hand sewing the quilt bindings, it's very relaxing. There is also a blue hanging pocket on the back.

This finished at 14 1/2" wide by 15" tall {not sure how I lost that half inch... LOL}. I am selling this on Etsy if you're interested.

I'm working on another one, though this second one will not have the flowers, just the corner units on all the blocks and since I'm using the leftover butterfly fabric I had only enough to cut six squares instead of nine, so the next one will be a little bit different... maybe just the right size to add some color to the back of the toilet :)

I don't know what's going on exactly but I am finding myself spending more and more time sewing and less time cleaning. I know that's not awful, but it's very addictive... I can't even sit and watch tv with my husband anymore unless I have something in my hands that I can sew {he doesn't mind though... for now haha}. And I'm finding that I really enjoy free motion quilting.

12 comments:

Amie said...

This is very cute! And the quilting is just so sweet!!!

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!

JoanieinNC said...

Perfect retro table topper that works well with your mug. Love the quilting on it too! Very fun!

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!

Vicki H. said...

Love this design and a wadering clover is one of my favorite stitches to do. Great job.

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you so much!

Connie said...

What a cute piece and your FMQ is perfect! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Quiltin' Jenny said...

So cute! This is the second time today I've seen those clovers and I love them. Will have to try them out very soon.

Penny (admin) said...

I love them too, so far they are the only FMQ pattern I have mastered at full speed... ahaha

Allison said...

i like the wandering clover design that you quilted with! your wallhanging turned out beautifully despite the wrong cutting directions!

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!!

Pebbled Table Topper | Sew Simple Life said...

[...] I am pretty excited about this one guys! My free motion quilting gets better every time I do it. Here is a little table topper I made with the leftover white fabric from the Retro Flower Table Topper/Wallhanging. [...]