Monday, February 25, 2013

Saturday Sewing.

I was asked to make a lunch bag from the book "Lunch Bags, a design collective". I was asked to make the one on the cover.

Here is my finished bag:
And the inside:
I seriously have got to start remembering to Google the book site and check for pattern updates. I still haven't checked if this pattern has been updated or not, but I do know when I was making it... um... I had to cut for the lining and exterior an extra 8 1/2" x 9" piece "for the flap" which was never used. As you can see, the flap is all once piece... so those two 8 1/2" x 9" squares are just scraps on my table now. Oh well.

I'd say "lesson learned" but this is the not first time I've done this... ha. I need to print a giant sign and hang it above my cutting table that says "CHECK FOR PATTERN UPDATES FIRST". Seriously.

Do you make the same mistakes over and over? Or is it just me who doesn't learn?

I also had a friend come over {our girls are in the same class} and we made our girl dresses! Sheena hasn't sewn since high school, one, and two, did not know how to read a pattern. So together we walked thru everything, and I did my best to explain, guide and show her. We both bought the same pattern {New Look 6613} but made different dresses. My dress is on the left {Dress C}, hers is on the right {Dress A}.
And of course the girls were super excited and both can't wait to wear the dresses without their clothes underneath... haha. They came out beautifully, and Sheena did a great job, we only had to rip her stitches twice, which I think is pretty impressive for a first dress, and the first time on a sewing machine in so many years. Don't you think?

13 comments:

Chelsea said...

These are very fun! I'd love for you to consider linking up Friday to our first ever Pattern Party. Only those with free patterns to share are invited to link up. Check out the details.
http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

Lauren aka Giddy99 said...

Those little dresses are so sweet!! :)

Vicki H. said...

Love the lunchbag, I have contemplated making one myself. I haven't made any garmets or aprons in forever and your little dresses are great. I should try.... I have sewn bags, quilts and straight lines for so long I may have forgotten how to make a simple garmet!!

Connie said...

The lunchbag looks great and the dresses are beautiful! How fun to teach your friend to sew! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

randi said...

Super cute little dresses!

Dee said...

What beautiful dresses and the models will be so cool and pretty! What an awesome friend for helping another friend step out of their comfort zone and be successful on such a lovely scale!

Anita said...

The dresses are super cute! Great job on the lunch bag too. Visiting from Show & Tell. Have a great Wednesday.

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!

Penny (admin) said...

Yes, they are both super proud of their dresses, and BOTH wore them to school yesterday, with t-shirt and leggings underneath because it's still cold here.

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you. I'm going to keep teaching her, she's very excited.

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks!! Wow... for me clothes are not simple! LOL. But we got it!

Penny (admin) said...

Thanks, the girls really love them