Monday, March 4, 2013

An oldie. But not the first.

I wanted to share the blanket I made one of my daughters. It was the first full {twin} size blanket I've ever made. Lots of mistakes in this one
I love the pattern and I even love the flannel fabric I picked out. There is supposed to be appliqued flowers in every square {or was it every other square?} but I didn't feel very confident in that. So instead I cut some circles and appliqued those randomly over the top.
Well.... as you can see I really didn't know what I was doing. Almost every appliqued circle is coming loose. I know everything I did wrong NOW, but back then I really didn't know. I had no idea. I thought I was doing it all correctly.

I'll say though... that for not knowing what I was doing really, this blanket has held up over the last 2-3 years. It has been puked on and peed on and dragged all around the house, tugged on and used as a fort. It's really well loved and it's been washed a bazillion times. The only real problem is that applique.
From the back you can see my "quilting". Which is just a stitch in the ditch around every other square and around the borders. Really... no idea what I was thinking!! There is no batting in this, which is why I keep calling it a blanket and not a quilt. The back is some... I don't even know! Poly/cotton blend I think.

And don't even get me going on the binding. Folded in half then raw edges in and sort of mushed over the edges of the quilt and stitched, which didn't attach all the way around so I did a second line of stitches. I had no idea you're supposed to stitch half on then flip around then stitch. And the corners?? Sort of mushed under the binding, so my square corners now look slightly rounded and since I didn't know how to get around those corners and I wasn't smart enough to cut them round, the binding is like... folded oddly over itself. LOL

But seriously, it has held up and as long as nobody looks at the corners, the binding looks good, the top looks good, except for the applique, and it keeps my daughter warm because it's flannel.

After this I had made a second one, same pattern, for my other daughter. I have no idea where it is in her room {it's not on her bed!!} but once I find it I'll photograph it. And Saturday night I found what is literally my very first finished "quilt". Oh yeah. Very first. I need to take a photo and share. It has lasted for 12 years now.... if you can believe that.

Do you ever look back at some of your first quilts or projects and wonder what you were doing?

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Isn't it great that we're progressing forward instead of backwards?! And how nice that your blanket (in spite of all the less-than-perfect techniques) has been so well loved! That's the point of making things for others after all, isn't it?

Penny (admin) said...

It is! The kids love pretty much anything made for them though... LOL

Nicole said...

I love that we can learn from our projects! I'm a new quilter and my first quilt has tons of flaws, but I learned from them! It makes us better at our craft. Thanks for sharing!

Penny (admin) said...

This is true. I've learned a lot over the last year.