Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My lame attempt at quilt math.

I had bought these jelly rolls which I just HAD to have because they were GORGEOUS and I thought they'd be PERFECT for my bedroom. They're the smaller jelly rolls... 24 strips per roll and I got the last six rolls on the shelf.

I did a lot of Googling trying to find a jelly roll pattern that was also queen sized. I couldn't find anything I liked and finally decided on a square block I drew below.
Don't even try to use the math above to make yourself a similar quilt because the math is ALL WRONG. I am horrible at math, which I have always known, but I guess I'm worse than I thought because even the simple math was wrong.

I cut up an entire jelly roll before I realized I was wrong. I cut up one full jelly roll and made a test block which came out to 10" x 10 1/4" which was way off from the 10 1/2" square I was aiming for. I ended up trimming the block to 10" unfinished... which will be 9 1/2" finished... an odd size for a finished block, I know...
But 9 1/2" finished blocks just just fine by me since I already cut the whole jelly roll... plus it's just so pretty right?!!? So I started piecing more blocks.
I am just randomly piecing them. There are 8 different fabrics and each block has 12 pieces so in each block some of the fabrics are repeated. But they're all random for the most part. I do make sure I don't have two of the same fabrics in each of the same strip of five.

So far I am up to 8 completed blocks and I need 90... so I've got a ways to go. And sometime today I need to buy fabric for the next art quilt, which will be a gift for someone so I can't say what.... but I should make it to the store today for fabric and then this queen quilt of mine will be on hold for a few days.

That's what I'm working on.... what are you working on?

7 comments:

Samantha said...

Math or no, the blocks look lovely!

Penny (admin) said...

I thought so, lol. Thanks for stopping by :)

Bobbi said...

Could the problem be with the cutting or the seam allowance? I really think the math is right--the block should come out to 10.5" unfinished. Either way, I love the block. Your quilt is going to be lovely.

Penny (admin) said...

That is so funny!! Thanks for checking my math. It is definitely not the cutting. I think it must be my seams, I almost never use a scant 1/4" unless specifically instructed to do so, and since this is my own thing it never occurred to me to do that!! Maybe my math isn't as bad as I thought it was, LOL.

Stephanie said...

I'm drooling over the fabric. Absolutely gorgeous.

Penny (admin) said...

I know, I love it.

Karen K. at Fireball Quilts said...

Feel better about your math skills! If you don't do scant seams with so many seams in a block, you are going to have smaller blocks. Since there aren't any quilt police going to bust down your door to measure, it doesn't matter as long as you're happy!

I'm working on a log cabin with a lot of seams, and even though I cut the pieces a little larger and square as I go, I still noticed it can get tight toward the end.