Sunday, May 5, 2013

Magical Jelly Roll Table Mat

This pattern is part of Magical Jelly Roll Quilts by Kimberly Einmo. You learn to make these blocks and then a whole quilt, and she shows you several variations... with one block, four blocks, turning the block, etc. It's a great class. I went with just one block and added a border.

I finished piecing this quite a while ago and it's been hanging on my wall. I have a friend who comes over a lot and she's always saying how much she likes it and how much she likes the fabric, so I decided to finish it and give it to her.
I free-motion quilted wandering clovers on the background and some curves in the flying geese. A flower in the center and some free form curves around the border. I like the way it came out. I used orange thread because my friend's favorite color is orange and I wanted the quilting to show.
The backing is just a whole cloth. It's also bound in the same fabric. Orange!!! I like the way it looks on the back too. I guess this could be double sided!!

It finishes about 17 1/4" square.

OH! I don't know if you've seen it, but Craftsy has some of the Quilt Con lectures on the site for free, and I really loved Jacquie Gering. I loved her so much that I purchased her class, Improv Piecing - Modern Design class. I have started watching it already, I'm still in the first lesson though because my iPad battery was dying last night. Are you taking her class?

4 comments:

Paige said...

I like this! I like the crinkling fro the free motion quilting. I found you through Show and Tell Tuesday by the way!

Penny (admin) said...

Thank you!

Stella Nemeth said...

I've been tempted by that Craftsy class too. I loved her book. I had a ball watching the lectures from Quilt Con. There were some people who were upset that they were available to those of us who could not go, but I was so grateful that Craftsy was able to give them to the people who use their site, and for free too.

Penny (admin) said...

Well I don't understand why they would be upset. We got to watch snippets of the entire thing, we didn't get the full experience. We didn't get to meet these people in person or see their amazing quilts in person, we didn't get grab bags.... I am grateful for what Craftsy let us see too.