Monday, May 6, 2013

My very first quilt

I think I made this in 2001... maybe early 2002.

It is made of scrap fabric.. old curtains, my daughter's bassinet sheets, my old shirts, fabric taken from the pillows on the couch, fabric I bought to make her a blanket {which did not work out}, leftover fabric from the curtains I made for her bedroom. Lots of random fabric. But fabric with memories attached.
I remember when I made this and how I made this. I did not use a rotary cutter, the squares were cut with scissors and I sewed with the sewing machine on my bed in front of me... awkwardly bent over to see with one leg curled under me indian style and the other leg up and bent so I could push the pedal.
I cannot believe my daughter will be 13 this month. I can't believe I have been a mother for 13 years.

Does anyone know how I can repair this rip? There is no batting in this "non-quilt quilt" so.... should I just whip stitch it? I don't know. Ideas would be great.

2 comments:

Stella Nemeth said...

Applique a heart or an apple over the rip. Either could cover more than one square. Embroider initials on it, or make it a double heart (one for you and one for the child).

Make it an intentional change and it won't look like a repair.

Penny (admin) said...

What a great idea! Thanks!!!