Saturday, March 22, 2014

Finished: Triangle Baby Quilt

If you read a comment or two on a picture I posted on my Facebook page, then you already know, my husband and I are expecting. I am due in August :) According to the ultrasound technician we are having another girl (this will put us at three girls and one boy). I can't say how accurate the ultrasound is, but I trust what I saw and trust what I was told so I went ahead and got started on a baby quilt.

These are the fabrics I choose from my stash. I really love these fabrics. I just think they are so pretty!!


I have always wanted to make a triangle quilt, so I got to work trying to figure out how many triangles to cut. I messed up my math pretty bad. I didn't stop to consider that because they are triangles I would need to double the amount of triangles I needed across the width. Not only did I not realize this at first, it didn't occur to me until all my triangles were stitched together and the whole thing was done. I had this long skinny quilt top up there on my design wall.

My solution was to add borders but because I had the length I wanted but not the width the borders would have to be on the sides only. I wasn't sure how that would end up looking but I went ahead and did it anyway, what else was I going to do? This was fabric from my stash and now I didn't have enough fabric to make enough triangles to finish the quilt. So I added a border to each side, with three smaller triangles in each border.

Then came time for back, which I pieced using some fabric I had won a while back from SewMamaSew. I think it was a half yard maybe? Not enough so I had to add a strip in there, which I did using the border fabric and a chunk of what was left of the teal colored fabric with flowered trees.

After that came quilting, which I did on my new sewing machine!! I bought a Juki TL 2010Q and let me say that I LOVE it. I have free motion quilted before on my Brother and it skipped stitches constantly and wouldn't fmq to the left or to the back and it was always a mess no matter what I did. I figured it wasn't me even though I was new to fmq because the machine would work some of the time, but not most of the time. But the Juki? Perfect. EVERY STITCH. Perfect. I love it.


I just free motion quilted some wandering clover in the triangles and then straight lines in the border, also with the free motion foot, so you might notice my lines aren't exactly straight or even. But I'm still happy with it and glad I used the free motion foot instead of switching to the walking foot.


 The baby quilt is 38" x 40". Not too big, not too small. Definitely big enough to throw on the floor and let baby play on, and big enough that she should be able to get a lot of use out of it for a few years, not like most smaller baby blankets are. What I actually did for size was to measure a baby quilt my youngest daughter has (she's 6) that she is still able to fit under and still uses sometimes.  This one isn't quite the same size but I am happy with it now that it's finished. 

And I am really happy with the borders, I like that mistake I made and having to add the borders, I like the way it looks.

7 comments:

Alia said...

Congratulations on the baby and the quilt!!!! Happy times ahead!!

Dawn LL said...

I love how it turned out! Those fabrics are so beautiful...and you found the right fix for the extra fabric on the sides. Such a wonderful treasure for the new one.

Penny D said...

Thank you so much!

Penny D said...

Thanks Dawn!

Valerie Reynolds said...

Your quilting really accents the triangles well. It's a very cool finish! V:)
PS: I'd like to invite you and your readers to stop by and check out Tuesday Archives: A new linky party for old quilting posts at myplvl.blogspot.com. Hope to see ya!

Michele said...

I like it too. That was a great mistake to make. It turned out great.

Quilt Musings said...

No mistakes, design opportunities!! Your design opportunity turned out awesome!! Love the quilting!