Friday, April 4, 2014

Multi-tasking Tote aka: my new diaper bag

I had bought a diaper bag a while back because it had monkeys on it. It was an impulse purchase... I didn't know what I was having and I love monkeys. The diaper bag is more geared toward a boy though, and the more I look at it the more I realize it's kind of small. So I decided to make a new one.

I made the multi-tasking tote from Lisa Lam's book "The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Guide to Sewing and Customizing Your Own Unique Bags". It's cute right? And looks like the perfect diaper bag.


Even though the pattern says to use two fabrics on the exterior and a third fabric as the lining, I used all three throughout my bag.


I added a zipper pocket to the inside (not part of the pattern but there is a section in the book dedicated to different zipper pockets)... and I added a keyring tab.

(excuse my chalk lines... haha)

Instead of eyelets for the front tie, I made button holes (thought I had big enough eyelets but I didn't). I also omitted the tie from the back pocket and added velcro instead. You will notice I lined the side pockets too even though the pattern said not to in order to reduce seam bulk.

This was my first time using SNAPS. So easy!!!! I love them, I feel like I'm going to put them on everything now.

  

I am wishing I had added velcro to the side pockets because they are pretty large... or maybe wishing I had made them smaller?


The pattern is well-written and pretty easy to follow. The only problem I really noticed is that step 2 tells you to add the ties to the pocket binding but you don't actually make the ties until step 3.

I love it! I think it is the perfect size for me. And I am totally in love with the fabric too!

6 comments:

Dawn LL said...

I would so carry this as a purse!!! lol
It is wonderful with some great fabrics.

Penny D said...

It's kind of big for a purse!! I love the fabrics too.

Rhonda said...

I like your red and aqua fabrics, very nice bag! That book is new to me and I am going to look into it, thank you.

Penny D said...

Thank you!

It is a great book, there is a ton of great information in it, plus lots of bag patterns, all easily customizable.

Gayle said...

Great bag, lots of pockets and gorgeous colours.

Penny D said...

Thank you! I love it now, hope I still love it when it's full of stuff haha