Wednesday, November 12, 2014

How they're holding up.

Since I am without my sewing machine right now and don't want to keep leaving my blog to fend for itself I thought I could update you all about how some of the things I've made are holding up.

I'll start with the diaper changing pad (mini tutorial here):

This definitely came in handy at highway rest areas when we made the 885 mile trip from NC to NH. Rest area bathrooms are sometimes pretty gross... It's been washed quite a few times due to a) the trip and b) quite a few diaper blow-outs, but it's holding up just fine. I use it and love it.

The diaper bag (which is actually a tote and posted about here):

This gets a ton of use. First as a diaper bag, then while we were traveling it was a "stuff whatever else I can fit into it" bag, and it's now a diaper bag again. It is holding up quite well, and while I said I thought the side pockets were too large for my liking when I made it, they are actually perfect. I tend to stuff my sunglasses, keys and hand lotion in one side, and the baby's bottle in the other side (even though there are bottle pockets inside, the side pockets are faster and easier access, which is great when your baby is screaming and you're getting flustered). 

The only thing I'm not happy with are the straps. I should have made them wider and padded. Sometimes the bag is heavy and uncomfortable on my shoulder.

The drawstring bag I made for myself as a project bag has gotten washed and I've been using it to store my breast pump. I'm sure it'll be a project bag again someday, or maybe toy storage... who knows? But for now it's happy helping me in this new unexpected way.


I'm sure there are more things I've made and could write updates about but this is all I can think of for now.

How have your projects held up over time and with constant use? I'm pleasantly surprised how well mine have held up (especially the diaper bag).

3 comments:

Scojean said...

Hi Penny- so glad to hear you've survived the trip. I have an idea. Since your diaper bag has "stuff it" space why not carry along a 2nd changing pad as a backup for those blowouts. As for being sans machine I cat so relate. I've had 2 surgeries and a hospitalization since June. I'll be SO glad when I can use my legs well enough again to press & sew. And BTW, Belated Congrats!!

Scojean said...

PS- should have included its me "NanaJean" from Craftsy.

Dawn LL said...

I am so glad you had all these wonderful supplies to make your life easier. They look so nice and your so talented to make all these. So glad your safe and finally home. Glad to see you update sweetie.