Thursday, January 8, 2015

Slow but steady progress.

Here is what we woke up to this morning, along with a two hour delay for school!!


I am still working on my hexies. It's going kind of slow, mostly because Nomers requires a great deal of my attention. But I baste when I can. I feel very old-timey when I do it because I usually sit next to the wood stove while I'm doing them.


Yesterday I spent some time reading about quilt history. I know back in the day English Paper Piecing was done using newspapers as the foundation and the paper was often left inside the quilt. Knowing this got me thinking... how did they wash those quilts? What would happen to the newspaper inside the quilt? What I learned was that back then quilts didn't really get washed. They got hung out on the line maybe once or twice a year and beat with a rug beater or some such thing, to get the dust out. And back then a lot of quilts were made with a flannel piece added to the top (the part that would go under your chin) and that piece would be removed and replaced when it wore out. Very interesting stuff.

I also managed to get on Craftsy for the first time in months and see they have a new Block of the Month class. I didn't care for last year's free BOM class, I thought the quilt was ugly, but this one looks interesting and the final quilt looks pretty. A lot of hand sewing involved from what I can tell. I'm excited to try it.

That's about it for now. I hope everyone is managing to stay warm this week with the arctic chill in the air.


No comments: