Thursday, April 30, 2015

Another finish in April!

This quilt gave me a lot of trouble. First I ran out of denim fabric so I had to use brown for the border. Then as i was quilting my thread kept breaking so I had to set it aside for two days out of frustration. I did realize after two days I hadn't changed my needle in a while, so I put in a new one and all was good. Then I quilted swirls in one of the outer squares and ripped it out because I decided I didn't like it.

In the end I suppose I am happy with it. Maybe not as happy as I could be though.


I am especially happy with the quilting in the border because it's a design i came up with myself, on the fly. Or at least I think I did. I guess it's possible I saw it somewhere once and filed it somewhere in my brain, but I don't think so. I was going to echo triangles but as I came in with the second one I just came back out with that echo without even really thinking about it.


 I really love the fabric in the center square and the binding.


So this is about 42" square. I'm going to keep it on my dining room table but it could certainly be used as a modern baby quilt. The pattern and quilting are from Dot to Dot Quilting with Angela Walters, although I did swap out the four patch in the center for one big square. And swapped out the fabrics on the arrows.
 I am trying really hard to finish my works-in-progress before starting anything new like I said I would. After this was quilted I added the binding by machine and set it aside so I could work on my Vortex Quilt, which the top is now complete. Then while the baby was napping I hand sewed my binding onto this dot to dot quilt. So I am taking this seriously.

No comments: