Thursday, April 23, 2015

How to: make your own periwinkle template.

I was on YouTube watching quilting videos and came across Jenny Doan's periwinkle candle mat video.

I don't know if you know this about me but I am not a very patient person... Oh I am patient in traffic and I am patient with my kids but other than those two things I have no patience whatsoever.

So basically I saw this video and had to make a candle mat RIGHT THEN. I can't go online, order a special tool and wait for it to arrive. I just can't. That doesn't mean I'm not going to order the tool eventually. It just means I wanted to make the candle mat right then and I wasn't going to wait on a special tool to arrive.

What to do then? Make my own periwinkle tool, that's what! Before I tell you how to make one too, know that I did cut out six blades and finish a candle mat to make sure this would actually work.

Note that I don't know what size the actual periwinkle ruler is, my periwinkle template is a good size and works well though... and I imagine you can use this technique to make several different sizes.


To make this you need a 60 degree triangle ruler and a square ruler. Because the periwinkle is basically a half square triangle sitting on top of a 60 degree triangle.

So what I did was traced around my 60 degree triangle from the top edge (the skinny edge) up each side to the 5 1/2 inch mark.

(okay, I'm messy so I passed the 5 1/2" mark then had to go back and add dots at the 5 1/2" points)

Then move that aside and grab your square ruler. I made sure my 45 degree line was centered at the tiny point of the triangle (because it's not really a point, it's flat) then pulled my square ruler down until the 4 1/2 inch line on both sides met the triangle lines on each side. Then I traced around the top two edges.


(trust me that is the 4 1/2 inch mark on my ruler set)


And there you have it. Now I know a ruler would be faster because you can cut around a ruler with your rotary cutter, but if you're like me and don't want to wait for your ruler to arrive before making something like the candle mat, it literally took me only an hour to: make the template, cut 6 petals with scissors, stitch, add batting and backing and quilt.

2 comments:

Carol Bailey said...

I like your style and will be doing likewise Thank you. Carol

Carol Bailey said...

I like your style and will be doing likewise Thank you. Carol