Anyway, so my fourth day of work on this quilt has me here. I did finish piecing it.
The face was full of small pieces so some of them will end up being raw edge applique. But I know that will be fine, some of the pieces on my Getting Along quilt are also raw edge. You do what you gotta do to make it work!
Since I knew some of them would be raw edged I did the entire face in one color and then added the raw edge layers on top of that, like this:
So here is the pieced top, ready for stitching. I am going to be 100% honest and say: I do not like it. I should have put the flower elsewhere, not directly behind Zoe. I have no clue how to fix this, I think I will add some smaller flowers around her. I don't know. I have a few ideas.
Zoe herself, especially her face, is going to require a lot of detail stitching to make it look right, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm sure that will come out fine, it's really just... I don't know, I feel like with the sunflower directly behind her the quilt isn't really balanced. But I am determined to fix that.
I ironed some stabilizer to the back and then started zig zag stitching all the pieces in place with clear thread. I didn't get everything stitched down, hopefully I get that finished today. This is my least favorite part of the process haha. But it is necessary and worth it in the end.
It really amazes me every time I make a pictorial quilt like this... when you peel back your freezer paper it all looks neat but kind of... flat. And what a difference quilting makes in the end. It is a pretty amazing transformation.
As I have said before, I learned this technique from a Craftsy class called "Pictorial Techniques with Machine Applique", which is currently 25% off. I can tell you it is definitely worth the money, especially on sale. #ad
In case you missed it: Day One, Day Two, Day Three.