Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Fourth day of work.

I haven't touched this quilt in a week, I was busy with the kids and busy around the house and busy shopping for my daughter's FIFTEENTH birthday!! It is very surreal that I have been a mother for fifteen years, it certainly doesn't seem like it's been that long. And when she asks me sometimes "hey when I move out can I take that table over there?" I realize she is growing up and can't wait for her own place, and that is only three short years from now. It makes me sad.

Anyway, so my fourth day of work on this quilt has me here. I did finish piecing it.


The face was full of small pieces so some of them will end up being raw edge applique. But I know that will be fine, some of the pieces on my Getting Along quilt are also raw edge. You do what you gotta do to make it work!

Since I knew some of them would be raw edged I did the entire face in one color and then added the raw edge layers on top of that, like this:

 

So here is the pieced top, ready for stitching. I am going to be 100% honest and say: I do not like it. I should have put the flower elsewhere, not directly behind Zoe. I have no clue how to fix this, I think I will add some smaller flowers around her. I don't know. I have a few ideas.

Zoe herself, especially her face, is going to require a lot of detail stitching to make it look right, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm sure that will come out fine, it's really just... I don't know, I feel like with the sunflower directly behind her the quilt isn't really balanced. But I am determined to fix that.


I ironed some stabilizer to the back and then started zig zag stitching all the pieces in place with clear thread. I didn't get everything stitched down, hopefully I get that finished today. This is my least favorite part of the process haha. But it is necessary and worth it in the end.

It really amazes me every time I make a pictorial quilt like this... when you peel back your freezer paper it all looks neat but kind of... flat. And what a difference quilting makes in the end. It is a pretty amazing transformation.


As I have said before, I learned this technique from a Craftsy class called "Pictorial Techniques with Machine Applique", which is currently 25% off. I can tell you it is definitely worth the money, especially on sale. #ad

In case you missed it:   Day One, Day Two, Day Three.

1 comment:

Melissa Shields said...

I'm swooning over here. I have so much respect for those of you that can do this kind of thing. I'm going back to my triangles. ;)