Thursday, June 25, 2015

What a disaster.

I wasn't going to talk about this because I was so very upset, angry, disappointed, embarassed and humiliated. But after some Googling this morning I realized I am not the only person this has happened to, and they all shared what happened, so I guess I will share too.

Yesterday was a beautiful day for the local Farmer's Market. Or it seemed like a beautiful day. I got there early to set up which was important because my 15 year old daughter was at work and not there to help me, my only help was my short and clumsy 11 year old son. He was such a champ though, I love him so much and appreciate all his help yesterday.

So at the North Fryeburg Community Market there was some wind and I had a gallon of water tied to each corner of the tent, and except for my cardstock price cards nothing blew away and the wind wasn't a problem really, even while it was lifting tents around me, mine stayed put. I fixed my price cards knowing what had happened and not wanting it to happen again. But I guess that wasn't enough.

Yesterday was crazy windy. I mean... I didn't even really notice the wind all day until we got there. Let me start by saying: I left before the Market even started, it was that windy and I was that frustrated and anxious.

Setting up the tent took much longer than I thought without my daughter's help. My son was very helpful but he's short so he could only do so much and we had not done a test set up together. I just thought I could direct him as we were setting it up. It was hard because the canopy kept trying to blow away before we even had it secured to the frame. But eventually we did get it up... only to have it lift off the ground. My water was still in the car so he ran to get it, but he can only carry two gallons at a time. Tent stakes? Yeah... comfy in their stake bag at home on my dining room table. Ugh. Even with the water the wind was still too much for the tent. So instead of just leaving the water sitting on the ground (tied to the canopy using the strings that came with it) I wrapped and wrapped around the legs so that the water was up off the ground. So that kind of worked.

But then we set up the tables... you know... quilts, especially small quilts, candle mats, etc, they are very light weight, which yes meant every time I put anything on the table it quickly blew away. My dress form blew over four times before I left her laying on the ground. One wind gust was so strong it lifted this plastic basket I had off the table and across the lawn. It's not even really a light weight basket, I don't understand how that happened.

Anyway, so I have anxiety. I have had anxiety for years and I can only take so much before I start to full on panic. Which is what I did. I started to panic. I took down the tent but only after I called my husband completely freaking out because my brain quit working and I just kept saying "I don't know what to do, I don't even know what to do right now, I don't think I can take down the tent by myself." Ha. I did though, take it down by myself.

So we left before it even started. Nobody else was having problems but they all had heavier items than me. Soaps, vegetables. Heavy enough that the wind wasn't taking it.

It was a huge disappointment. I was very upset. So yeah. Wind. I told my husband I am never doing another outdoor show again. Ever. He said I'm being ridiculous and he's proud of me for even trying, etc. He was very sweet, and very supportive and if it wasn't for that conversation we had, the things that he said, I probably would give up and never try again.

I need to come up with some way to weigh down my things. How do you weigh down candle mats? Or burp cloths? Mug rugs? A dress form?  I really have no idea but I have one week before the next Farmer's Market to figure it out.

And I got invited to a huge show in August which I would love to do, it's not just a market... the kids will have so much fun, there will be live music and a petting zoo among other things. I need to figure this out.

I refuse to quit. I refuse to give up. Okay so I had a bad day. It's not the end of the world, it could have been worse, I read where glass blowers had all of their globes smashed at a show because of the wind, I didn't lose anything. I read where rain storms ruined paper goods, nothing of mine got ruined.

So it could have been worse. I will figure this out.

2 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

I use to do craft shows and the majority of them were outside. I would only place one or two things of each kind out at a time. Then I bought small plastic tubs or laundry baskets and weigh down the tub with covered rocks or bricks. Then place the items in the tubs stacking or tyng things together with ribbon or yarn. You know how fat quarters ar displayed on their side in wooden crates or drawers. Use the storage items as an element of your display. Wind is not kind and difficult to deal with. You can do it, just take a deep breath and say I am not letting this get to me.

Penny Doucette said...

That's a great idea!!! Thank you so much for commenting. I will check out the dollar store and see if I can find appropriate containers and pretty rocks!