Monday, July 20, 2015

Giraffe Quilt Block and a confession

I designed this cute giraffe quilt block a while ago and finally decided to try to put it together. This first one I messed up on :/ I wasn't paying attention to my diagram and I put the nostrils on upside down. Oops. He is still cute though. I used this green fabric because this was a test block and I have never liked this green fabric (somebody gave it to me) but now that I see it used I kind of like it.


My second block came out better, I did not mess up the nostrils on this one.


I have a confession to make. Some of the rows in these blocks have a lot of seams, which means my block came out too small because I suck a little. It's not just this  block, but anything I do that has several seams comes out too small. Both of my lonestar quilts, which start with a large lonestar block, came out too small... and both times I watched the Craftsy video as I was working to make sure I was doing it right.... always so careful with cutting and so careful with piecing and still my lonestars were much smaller than they were supposed to be. Why does this happen to me???

Even when I use the 1/4" foot that came with my Juki... I think I read somewhere maybe my thread is too thick.

Anyway, so my blocks are smaller than they should be, but the measurements are correct. You can find the pattern for the giraffe quilt block here. It should finish at 12" square.

No comments: